Master Composter Training Program Begins March 12, 2012
Release date: 2/17/2012
Sponsored by SOCWA:
Southeastern Oakland County Water Authority
in cooperation with The Bloomfield Township Public Library
Classes meet 6:45 pm – 8:30 pm –
Bloomfield Township Public Library, 1099 Lone Pine Rd. (@Telegraph)
Schedule for 2012
- Mon. March 12: Composting…for Earth’s Sake!
- Speaker: Lillian Dean, Master Composter program coordinator
- Mon. March 19: Healthy Lawn Care Seminar (public meeting)
- Speaker: Gary Eichen, Mike’s Tree Surgeons, Inc.
- Mon. March 26: Go decomposers! The biology of composting
- Speaker: Renee Moore, Science Teacher, Seaholm H.S.
- Mon. April 2: Soil testing and fertilizer options
- Speaker: Jon Dahl, Director, MSU Soil Test Lab
- Mon. April 16: Healthy soils for healthy trees…and marvelous mulches!
- Speaker: Michele Mitchell, Oakland Community College
- Mon. April 23: Ecosystems, watersheds, and youth education
- Speaker: Pat Dobosenski, Elementary Science Teacher, retired; Birmingham
- Mon. April 30: Susatainable landscapes and rainwater recycling (public meeting)
- Speaker: Rick Lazzell ,Ecoscape Landscape Consultant
Attend 6 classes; build a working compost pile, complete written assignments and open book final exam. Volunteer 12 hours of time between March & October 2012. Registration due by March 5: $35.00 (make checks payable to SOCWA) (Fee includes SOCWA Master Composter Notebook (200 pages); “Healthy Soils for Sustainable Gardens”, 100 page illustrated paperback; and Master Composter name badge. Class size limited to 25. Register early to assure a spot!
QUESTIONS? CONTACT LILLIAN DEAN, program coordinator:
Funded in part through a grant to SOCWA from the Rouge River National Wet Weather Demonstration Program
Back to Newsroom ...